Psalm 27.13-14

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

And then there was Light...(brokenness continued)

II Corinthians4:6-7 says,


" For it is God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone
in our hearts to give
the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But
we have this treasure in earthen vessels..."

The God of Genesis Who commanded "Let there be light" and by His great power our universe began to form; this universe that scientists and scholars spend back-breaking hours to understand and explain; started with light...Before the sun, moon, and stars, God spoke light into its place and set it in time and gave it a name: day!

He did the very same thing in our hearts. Out of dark hearts God commanded light and a whole new universe (the born-again me) began to unfold. And with that light is this concept of 'earthen vessels', 'clay pots' if you will; that we might never think this light comes from our own selves but only from the God of all creation.

The earthen pots were used to cover the torches of Joshua, but that is not what impacted the battle. It was the breaking of the pots to reveal the light of the torches that caused panic and surrender!!!

In me is a light created by God. God is light. Unless I allow who I am to crack apart no one will ever see that light. My relationship with God must produce cracks and holes...and it will if I stop trying to fix me. My wholeness is not about the putting together of a tidy outer shell but it is in allowing the Lord to shine through me - a common vessel.

The light is what will stop others in their tracks. That light is what will bring others to their knees. That light will bring others to Salvation. Not me, not the vessel, but the light.

So often I find myself gluing and taping the cracks, thinking I am doing well. Then He reminds me of what I am and Who He is. He reminds me that at a certain point in battle it is time for Him to crack the pots and allow the light, His light, to penetrate the darkness. That is how darkness is overcome.

My prayer is that I may know Him more and more, that when it is time for cracks and holes I don't panic, I don't resist...more of Him, less of me, amen.

2 comments:

Ron Steslow said...

Hi Linda, What you are sharing reminds me of a Quote by Tozer. It goes somthing like this:

"God uses greatly those whom he has allowed to be hurt deeply"

Brokeness really does bring forth amazing intimacy with God. Blessings.

faintnot said...

Yes it does...I used to equate brokenness with sadness. I don't anymore. Thanks for the quote...It applies.
BTW, Ron, welcome to blogland!