Psalm 27.13-14

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

Sunday, December 2, 2007

...Saturday afternoon in the Sun

As soon as I left the Friday morning church in the Park service I headed over to the church I attend to start wrapping the toys that Toys for Tots donated. It was still raining and it was a great way to spend the afternoon...with long time friends in a warm dry room.
My mind wandered to the others I had just left...where would they go in this downpour?
Time to turn my attention to what the Lord would have me do at this moment. Time to prepare for Saturday, souls to be saved, lives to be touched.
Saturday found sunshine, and crispy, windy weather. When we got to the apartment complex there was mass movement to get everything set up and ready.
Tables were set up by the pool, (which looks like it hadn't seen water in a long, long time). Sound system was out by the pool as well. First the food was served, then a time of ministry. Kids jammed up close to the music along with their parents. We danced and clapped and Rob and the others led the way for salvation. About 15 kids received Jesus. Later on, one of the Moms prayed with one of the workers and gave her life to Jesus. It's not about the presents or the food...I know they need that stuff and it is good that we can get it for them. But it all has to point to Jesus and what He has done for us all or its a waste of time.
Some choose to question everything they do not understand about God. Some choose to look at all the faults of the church and retreat back into the distance, not getting past the personal injury, refusing to heal.
I have found that healing comes when we least expect it, when we are not looking for it, when we cook up a pot of soup and bring it to a park and wait for someone who is cold and hungry. Healing comes when we give the barrister $5 for a cup of coffee and ask him to use the rest to pay for the person standing behind us in line, (something the pastor of the church i go to does on a regular basis).
The healing comes for us, and for the person we just touched. It will never come by remaining critical of those who have done us wrong or offended us. The enemy wins then...as we ponder whether God is fair or not, if there are contradictions in the Scriptures,...because as we ponder what has already been answered, and question what God gives no answers for...as we ponder, we sit... and forget we are soldiers, bond slaves, on a mission to gather into God's kingdom, those who have been beaten down, tied up, shackled and confused by the enemy. We have a purpose and we do not have to understand anything except that God has called us to move, He has called us to take it to the streets, to speak the Truth in Love and do something, do something that makes sense...
When I go back to the apartments, I think I will bring a good story to read to the kids, a big pot of macaroni and cheese with chopped up hot dogs in it and an invitation to come and follow Jesus.
Yes, and I will invite the moms to come and eat and listen. Maybe, just maybe, one of these days, they will help Jimmy's church feed the homeless. Maybe the homeless can come sometime and read a story to the kids. Maybe...think of the possibilities....Maybe, if only, we could be all that we wished 'the church' could be.

9 comments:

Nate said...

I do love your spirit.

I am Christianos.

Not Christian.

faintnot said...

Explain...

Happy said...

Can I quote a few bits of this on my blog? :) Some of what you had to say today really touched my heart, and I want to write about it.

Let me know! oh, and that post about Sacred Space will be up soon. Hopefully tonight! :)

love,
Happy

Nate said...

I had a post about not being able to be called a chritian. Little Christ.

Someone there told me that it came from the greek word christianos. Which mens, "Slave to the Christ."

So in your post, when you said you were God's bond servant, it made me think of that.

Nate said...

Hey I noticed that you are kind of a private person. You left your name on a post over at Dena's site. Is it OK for me to use your name when talking to you on comments? Or would you like to keep your anonimity?

Just want to respect your wishes.

faintnot said...

Yes, yes, by all means use my name...thank you, Nate for being so considerate.
Slave...to our culture that sounds so horrible, to be a slave, but I know no better life than being owned by Him who spent so much to purchase me...I am now free to serve Him.

Happy said...

This reminds me of a song we used to sing at choir camp... I don't know who wrote it, but the words were always so lovely:

"Pierce my ear, o Lord, my God,
take me to your door this day; I will serve no other gods. Lord, I'm here to stay."

based on that passage, i think in Leviticus, about how at the end of a 7 year indenture period, a slave could choose whether to take his freedom or remain a servant to his master forever. If he chose to remain the master's servant then they would pierce his ear against the doorframe of the master's house, and he would wear an earring to show his devotion.

i love that word picture. and i agree - there's no other place i'd rather be than in the service of this kind Master, Jesus.

faintnot said...

God morning Happy...yes, I believe that is right...a bond slave is a slave who has been set free but chooses to remain the servant of his Master...
I love the words to the song you shared...i will searc it out to see if I can hear it somewhere...

faintnot said...

Yes, Happy, of course...I am looking forward to hear what you have to say...