Psalm 27.13-14

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

Friday, February 8, 2008

Our Loss, His Gain

My nephew died on Tuesday. I have met him only twice. We prayed together once. And why we all lived in the same town but never knew eachother is a long and stupid story. Cole Joseph Stafford (22 years old) loves Jesus. He loves his family and he loves his wife and he loves the kids he pastored.

There was a service for him on Wednesday night. Not a funeral, not anything like that...it was a love gathering for all who knew and were touched by him. It was the family of God, the Body of Christ working properly, crying and laughing and remembering and most of all, with the ripping pain going on inside each and every one of us there was worship in the highest form...as we lifted our voices out of the pain into His Presence we knew this was a Cole and God moment. We could only imagine the holiness of the meeting between the two as Cole was able to see the One Whom he loved so dearly.

I love the church, the body of Christ. When all is said and done, the criticisms, the disputes, the rallying around one doctrine or another, when all is said and done we know what to do and Who to run to. It has been a long time since I have been witness to the loving arms of the body cradling on of the hurting ones as I did Wednesday night.

I love You, Lord. I love that You remain calm in the midst of our storms...that Your Steadiness and Assuredness of what You do is never shaken by our doubts or fear or pain. I love that You put up with us and I love that You still bless us with Your Overwhelming Presence to lead us through this wilderness...

My prayer is for Stacy, Cole's wife of nine months, that the Grace I saw on her this week continue to envelope her, that the Lord keep her from despair. And for Cole's dad, Joe, who loves his children so much, that he too live in the majestic Presence of the Almighty, that he find his way through this loss.

And for the kids he shepherded...his children in the Lord, that they do Cole proud by serving our great God with passion and fire...and for his brothers and sisters, that they run to Him Who is Able, and find Him.

And for his pastor, who loves him like his own son...

May the God of all peace and grace and mercy fill them with the most astounding awareness of Himself...

good-bye Cole...

2 comments:

Nate said...

You know that I lost my father recently. I feel for your loss. I never knew loss was a rea and strong emotion before this. I do now. I will add you to my growing prayer list, and all those effected by it. I love you, and God loves you. May you find peace in his arms.

faintnot said...

Nate, thank you...yes, pray for his wife and family. Today is the funeral...we will say good-bye and go on.