Psalm 27.13-14

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pockets of Purpose

When I walked into the Bike shop I have to admit, I felt a little uneasy. Though I had met Kenny and Jen a few times before I had never stopped by to check out their church...a planting of the Lord...right smack dab in a bike shop on a highway. By the time we started there were 25 or so there. Worship began...Helen led with no instruments and a raspy deep voice. There I was, among leather and chains and remnants of cigarette smoke and....I felt at home. Did I fit into their social life? No, can't say that I did, but, we all had one thing in common....we were all there because we love what Jesus has done for us and want to be more like Him in a world that is dying.
I brought Tracy the next week. She does street church in another part of town down the highway some. HUH was there, he is pastor of a Bike club. It seems that there are these pockets of ministry all over this town. And it is very, very neat how God is bringing us all together. Kenny and Huh went to check out Tracy's gathering last Thursday night. They all walked the neighborhood and prayed. They were all blessed that they now know each other. I met HUH at the Friday morning church in the park with the homeless ones. Now I meet up with him at Kenny's. HUH has a group that meets down the road in the back of a beauty shop. I have a gathering at a lady's house over in the Section 8 apartments tucked at the edge of the desert. Lots of moms and babies over there. Women struggling to survive.
So, now, there are these preachers who are discovering they are not alone in this town and I am excited to see what God is going to do with a motley crew like us...

1 comment:

Heather said...

Church in a bike shop! How fantastic is that?

It's amazing what can happen when people live mission. I love it!