Psalm 27.13-14

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Just a thought...

Being new to the blog world I am excited as I travel through and read what others have to say. I am excited because there is a stirring once again inside the hearts of believers to be real, authentic, active God people, Christ followers, whatever label is attractive to you right now.
And yet I am concerned that so much time is being spent with what is wrong instead of getting out there and being what is right.
Yes we need to be out there where the lost are. Yes, lost! Out there...where the very real, lost ones are who are desperate to hear there is a God who went out of His way for them. I love what was written about Jesus at Today at the Mission's Finding Jesus in Finland. God went out of His way for us. Listen, I know the church can be quite the messy place. Humans have the unique ability to make messes wherever they go. But that is me and you as well.
The church experience should be, (my opinion only) a coming together of believers who have been 'out there' all week doing the work of God, listening to Him, saying what He would have them to say, reaching out to those in need, whether it is spiritually or materially, coming together at least one day a week to CELEBRATE over what they have seen the Lord do while they were out there. Does that make sense?
Celebrate, worship and maybe even receive the Word for ourselves so that we are strengthened to go out once again for another week of being at His disposal to do what He is doing in the earth.
It's time to start talking about what God is doing through us rather than what is wrong.
I truly believe every reviving of the church was started with a hunger for the real which was created by on-fire, energetic, positive members who were being productive and enthusiastic.
A fired coal sets the cold coals next to them on fire. A fired coal standing alone dies out. We need the fire of each other to keep the fire going...
Imagine what would happen if we refused to be critical and instead got up close and personal with the unlit ones....what a fire could be started.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Exactly!!! That is exactly what I've been trying to say in four months worth of blogging. Wow.

faintnot said...

I had a feeling we were on the same page but I wasn't sure...God is good, isn't He?

Happy said...

"I truly believe every reviving of the church was started with a hunger for the real which was created by on-fire, energetic, positive members who were being productive and enthusiastic."

faintnot - I love this. It makes me think of the Haystack Meeting in (I think it was) the 1800s - do you know the story? A bunch of guys meeting for prayer on a college campus end up in a haystack to escape the rain, start praying, and change the world as a result... I can send you the more specific details if you're interested, but I'd have to look it up... :) Anyway, YES - this is what's at the heart of revival, and as a fellow worship leader, it's something I pray for often, tho that phrase - "a hunger for the real" isn't one I'd used YET (but will now!). My college kids and 20somethings have that - and we're seeing the first glimmerings of revival in our county... I love that imagery you go on to about coals enabling each other to catch fire. It's SO what I want to see happen at Torch (the young adult group I lead for.)

Thanks for sharing. I found you through Heather, by the way - and I've loved hearing what you've had to say on her blog. Thanks for your insights on the whole glossolalia thing - I never chimed in on that conversation, but I've been thinking about it a ton... thank you.

faintnot said...

Happy, it is so good to meet you...and thank you for your encouraging words...yes, yes I would love to know more about the haystack revival. It sounds familiar. Please pray for another Heather (see my latest post, and maybe send her a word of encouragement via her blog which is linked in my post about her.

carrie said...

Hunger for the real....isn't that what Jesus had? What Jesus wanted everyone to have...I think so...Thanks for this wonderful post!!!

faintnot said...

Yes, Jesus created a hunger for the real in those who would let Him. Thanks so much for loving the Lord. I enjoy reading at your site as well!

Nate said...

It is hard for people to move past the bad. I haven't competely in 21 years. But moving forward is what we neeed to do. Thank you for putting it so eloquently.

faintnot said...

Nate, you have touched my heart. I know it is hard but you're right, we HAVE to move on.
The Lord has so much for us to do. If we succumb to the stuff that happens to us how will we make a difference for anyone else?
All the hereos of Hebrews 11 are my heroes because they pushed passed the garbage and went on for God.
I am praying for you...I was there once.