Psalm 27.13-14

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Restless

I should be gathering my music for the morning service. I should be getting the worship in order. I should be but I haven't been able to . It is now 7:45 PM and I can't seem to focus. So many thoughts run through my mind.

I was visiting with deconstructed christian while avoiding my own tasks and was caught up with her topic on the label 'Christian'. I hate labels. I hate what the world does with them. A once so meaningful and risky identification is now a term to define , oh, i don't know, a political agenda.
How gross, how stupid. Or is it?

Funny thing about the world, it sees what it sees. Maybe that is what most of us have become: living statements of our opinions concerning how everyone needs to behave. We sometimes wear our opinions like badges never admitting that what we call ourselves has nothing to do with reality.

Christian, what a label. It was once the title of those who have died for their faith. It meant death to self and trust in God. It defined those who had found the living God.

Ultimately, I want the original definition to be me. I like the label Heather was given: a God person. I remember when jeans were only worn by farmers. Then we started finding them in army surplus stores and bought them for five dollars. It became our identity. Bell bottoms meant you hated the establishment, loved freedom, were intelligent and interested in reality and spirituality....if I remember correctly it meant a few more things.

Suddenly, without warning denim started appearing in stores with pre-made holes and worn out areas. Suddenly they cost 30 dollars and parents were wearing them. Society has a way of doing that. Jeans were stripped of their meaning. Why, they were being worn by the enemy. They meant comfort and fashion and establishment. They don't mean that now but I still wear them. Christian doesn't mean to others what it should but I'll still wear it.

But I think if I had to give myself an identifying label it would be.....His! I want to be completely His. I want to be a God person. Then you can call me whatever....cause He calls me His.

I need to get ready for tomorrow....my heart is not in it right now. It would be nice to just forget the formalities and find worship pouring out of me for no reason at all....

Thanks, Heather, for introducing a new label, God person. Let's enjoy it before THEY strip it of its wonder...

3 comments:

Heather said...

Sorry to be so distracting! Actually, the term "God Person" was given to me by my good friend Rachael. Along with "God Shop" (Christian bookstore) and "God Stuff" (anything related to God). All are completely valid labels. And coming from her, a woman searching for God and purpose for herself, I'm honoured to wear the label.

Heather said...

Just tagged you - didn't have your email address to pass it on.

http://deconstructedchristian.blogspot.com/2007/08/tagged-oh-no.html

;-D

Heather.

carrie said...

Oh Gosh...I came via Heather's page and I'm soooo glad to read this...her God Person 'label' hit home with me too and now to read this post just really nails it completely...I hate how the "establishment" takes all that is good and right and just in the world and turns it into a dirty little game....so many things....